Tuesday, January 12, 2016

"Old Man Rules"


I have a few rules I ride by. I don't think any young, fast rider would like them, but they are how I ride.

Rule #1 - don't surprise cars - surprised cars can do surprising things.
Rule #2 - always be seen - actively choose where you are in the lane so that people have a better chance to see you.
Rule #3 - never be in a hurry - this doesn't mean not ever going fast, but is more about the frame of mind that can make you do stupid things for the sake of saving a few minutes.
Rule #4 - ride like cars can't see you - the sad truth is that most of them are looking at their cell phones more than the road or you.
Rule #5 - always wear safety gear - part of this is for safety in a collision, but mostly this is about having a different frame of mind when you ride. Just like you put on a helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots, you also put on a frame of mind specific to riding and being fully aware of your surroundings.

As you would imagine, lane-splitting isn't something I do - it violates my rules #1, #2, and #4. And rule #4 makes intersections a bit more exciting when a car turning left in front of you "can't see you".

No comments:

Post a Comment